Home Page » Articles
Real 3D interface by Compiz Fusion soon?Technology » Operating Systems » Linux - 10/02/2008
A post from the Compiz Fusion Blog informed us about some interesting things that are under development. Imagine a very cheap 3D interface with head tracking, using the WII Remote... Isn't it a great idea?
The idea of head tracking using the wiimote is not new. You can see a small demonstration in the following video. It's really simple, but very effective.
Now, what the developers do is building the software to connect one or more of these controllers to your pc running linux and Compiz Fusion. The possibilities after that are endless, depending on developers imagination. But if it works, the final users will be really able to interact with the 3D interface using head tracking, mouse, or even finger tracking.
More information on their blog post: And so I could: You can have your cake and eat it two!
And an older video, example of finger tracking:
|Tags: compiz, compiz fusion, linux, gnu, wii, remote, wiimote, nintento, finger tracking, head tracking.
Add to: Del.icio.us | | | | | | Slashdot
- why not allow a variety of sources to provide positional geometry?
i could see web cams really playing into this, and it would look a lot less silly than using a wii mote on your desktop or laptop.
By: jdavid.net @ 11/02/2008
- Very cool stuff!
By: mark @ 11/02/2008
- this is one of the coolest ideas i've seen in a very long time. it's very simple but the reality it brings to the experience would be incredible. i've made my computer screen look somewhat 3D by tricking my eyes and that's an excellent experience within itself. the dimension it could add to music visualization would be mind-blowing for sure.
By: darek d @ 11/02/2008
- I've tried doing that with a webcam.
Although it's a bit slow, I've got a better version.
It could also be used for eyetracking, which would give much more 3d impression.
The link is here:
By: Daniel Lélis Baggio @ 11/02/2008
- Hasn't someone already done this for the PS3 using the camera to track the user ?
By: GreasyPole @ 11/02/2008
- That's a great idea. One wiimote might not be enough for a great experience, but the post already mentions working to support multiple inputs... so yay!
By: Dae @ 11/02/2008
- I can see 'the Minority Report' getting closer day by day.
I've posted a link to this site on my forum too.
By: Studio 2 Web Design Forum @ 12/02/2008
- Thats awesome
By: Vinno @ 22/02/2008
- One person at a time. HAHAHAHA. You seem to underestimate my ability buy two.
By: MS @ 22/02/2008
- This is really nice post that is that updates us with the ever changing technology. New inventions are going to change men's life. This idea of 3D interface is really appreciable.
By: Web Cameras @ 13/06/2008
^ And there you have it, about a year later.
By: K. Lange @ 04/02/2009